lepleys.org Lepley Family Tree
lepleys.blogspot.com Genealogy Stories and News

Sunday, August 30, 2020

My Visit to Daughmer Savannah

Finally managed to get out to the Daughmer Preserve.  A storm system was moving through, and made for a fun time with my Olympus.  Approaching the preserve, the entire area is surrounded by corn fields.


There are these unusual looking trees sporadically throughout the corn fields.  I suspect they are remnant bur oaks that the farmers have allowed to remain.  I believe all of this area was once the property Richard Lepley inherited from his Aunt Hazel White Daughmer.  I didn't wish to trespass to confirm my hunch.  Took photos from afar.  The wind was kicking a bit here.



Parking area is just simple area with some gravel thrown down along with a porta-potty as well as signage about the preserve. You'll see a couple of paths through the growth, as well as signs periodically on the path.  The signs on the path have Scan Codes for smart phones which will link you directly to an information video on YouTube about some feature of the savannah.  
Path


Sign under Bur Oak about Fire's effect on the tree

As I walked down the path, I would stop periodically to look around.  Whenever I'd start back up, I kept hearing a click-clack or a rustling in the foliage to either side of me.  I kept looking, but was confused by what I was hearing.  Upon investigation, turns out, the plants were just full of crickets and other hoppy no see-ums, and whenever I would take a step, they would react.  Being so many of them, I could actually hear their unanimous movement.  
 

I wish I had someone with me to photograph under the trees, in order to give perspective of their size.  They are quite large and beautiful.  Here, I've deliberately framed in a home to provide a little perspective.  Although the home is some distance farther, you can at least begin to appreciate their true size.  

As I walked through some of the paths, I noticed several of these very large empty spaces where suddenly no plants were growing. Looked like a big dirt pile, which didn't make sense to me.  So I took a closer look.  They were the biggest ant hills I'd ever seen!  The photo unfortunately is boring and just looks like mound of mulch, but, I assure you, it was absolutely teeming with busy little ants, with multiple entrances all around their home.  I believe it was at least two feet across, maybe three feet.  

Birds were everywhere in the trees, calling, warning others of my presence.  I heard many bird calls I recognized, but, more than a couple which I could not place.  I heard multiple wood peckers, and strained to catch a glimpse.  I finally did, but much too far for my camera.  I saw the distinct black white pattern as one of them flew from one tree to the next, and took up his call again.  
Cardinal had a nice perch in which to observe and be observed


If you watch the videos, they talk about the interesting seed technique of the bur oaks.  I hadn't watched the videos, but as I walked by, I thought these look interesting and took a quick pic.  

I really enjoyed my visit, short as it was.  Very peaceful.  I wish more of the land could have been retained in this purchase, but, am glad they were able to get as much as they did.  

Here are some videos the Park Service has put together about Daughmer with some drone video. You can see the clean lines of corn fields against the park. Just imagine how many years of valuable trees were cut down.  I've no idea how old these trees are, but, more than a couple of them look to be pretty old, as big as they are.
 
This imbedded linked Video is published by the Daughmer Preserve
This imbedded linked Video is published by the Daughmer Preserve

This imbedded linked Video is published by the Daughmer Preserve


No comments:

Post a Comment